Learning how to make your home a smart home isn’t as hard as you may imagine. Yes, it can be a bit challenging to identify the things that will make your home smart, but there are certainly some ideas that you can take into account too. Overall, turning your home into a smart one requires plenty of research. Aside from that, you do need to spend much time researching the market and finding the best prices. Of course, you also have to think about the total prices and budget too, which can add up quite a lot depending on your project!
There’s no denying that knowing how to make your home a smart home is a pretty challenging process. It will eat up a lot of your time and effort. Plus, it’s really challenging to do this on your own without any previous knowledge. It’s always important to document a lot before you start a huge undertaking like this. It won’t eat up a ton of your time at first, but it can offer you a good insight into the tremendous value you can obtain as a whole. Yes, it is amazing, and it can offer some cool benefits that you are bound to like quite a lot.
How to Make Your Home a Smart Home: Select the Desired Assistant
When you start studying how to make your home a smart home, you first need to understand the best assistant for your home. Siri, Google Assistant or Alexa are very good. They do have their own pros and cons, however.
Alexa, for example, is very fast and inexpensive. It also features more than 10k skills, you can set up and plug the devices anywhere and you can also get smartphone apps for it. Google Assistant has the latest Android versions, and the prices are pretty good too. And since Google is the most important figure in the AI world, it’s safe to say that the technology behind their assistant is more than solid. Overall, you get just about everything you want from a tool like this. Of course, you can feel free to improve it as you see fit, but it’s well worth your time and effort with this one.
And then you have Siri. Siri is focused on privacy, and it does integrate with the Apple Homekit. However, each one of these tools does have downsides. They either get to be very hard to use and manage, or troubleshooting can be problematic. And then you also have Siri which is exclusive to Apple so that you will be limited to the hardware at some capacity. It’s definitely not a walk in the park to select the right assistant, but while you could change to another one in the future, try to think about picking the best one now. It’s easier to have a good plan right off the bat. Otherwise, it will just be very confusing!
Select the Primary Hardware
Once you selected the necessary virtual assistant, you will need to find the right hardware component that will be a primary controller. If you chose Siri, you could use the iOS devices or the Apple Watch as a primary controller. Google Assistant users can opt for the newer Android phones or the Google Home tool. And then you have Alexa, which will work on the Echo Show, Echo and Echo Dot.
While it’s not a hard thing to choose the necessary hardware, even here you have multiple options. That’s why you have to try and professionally adapt all your wishes. It’s certainly going to be quite rewarding, to be honest, and the results that you can get from something like this are very special. Again, it’s all about proper planning and knowing how to use everything to your advantage.
Finding and Installing The Desired Devices
When you study how to make your home a smart home, you will notice that you do need some smart devices to make the entire process work the way it was supposed to. But you can imagine that there’s a lot of hard work to do in here, and you can find a ton of challenges in the entire process. Yes, figuring out the desired devices and installing them is maybe the tricky thing to focus on when you create a smart home.
But it’s also a nice one. After all, the idea here is to customize everything and enjoy the experience the way you want. It’s an amazing opportunity and one that you will surely enjoy quite a lot in the end.
Here you will notice that we created a quick list of the things you need to add to your smart home. You can easily customize the list as you want:
- Smart lights are a necessity. You will need to use a dedicated phone app for these, but you can also connect the voice assistant if you want. There are multiple unique models and lots of companies like Philips that create smart lights. It’s a good idea to purchase a bundle of smart lights, as that’s where you can get the best deal. Individual lights are less expensive, and that’s a crucial aspect to take into consideration.
- Smart fans are also a good addition. You may always want a fan to light up the mood, remove the unclean air if someone smoked and so on. Turning the fan on and off automatically or from your phone is handy, so try to use that to your advantage.
- Smart appliances like coffee makers, water kettles and so on, even fridges can also be connected to your primary hardware. The best thing here is that each one of the smart devices you purchase comes with its own So, instead of staying here trying to offer a guideline for each device, you can read that on your own based on the product you purchase. And yes, most of them cover each of the voice assistants and platforms.
- Thermostats are important as well. Since you want to keep the overall temperature under control, you can easily schedule the thermostat to keep a specific temperature, and it will do that for you. The best part is that you can avoid spending a ton of money and instead you can obtain a solid return on investment without spending way too much on your utilities. A smart thermostat can be a tad expensive, but it’s also astonishing as well.
- Monitoring devices can be very helpful too. In fact, these allow you to identify the energy consumption, electricity consumption and you can see if there are any leaks or problems too. If a device in your home is non-efficient, you will know that it’s the time to replace it, and in the end, that can be quite an amazing opportunity for you. So yes, you should consider taking this into account.
- You can add wireless speaker systems. Connecting them to your phone via Wi-Fi will make it easy to have the music you love ready to play. So yes, if you are a music lover, these devices are definitely will make you happy.
- Smart switches are great too. These are added to your wall, and you can make sure that you stop any devices when they are already charged. There have been many situations where homes caught on fire because electrical devices weren’t removed from their outlets on time. These smart switches can help you make the process easier and faster for you.
- Wireless camera systems are good as well. If you want to boost your home security, you just get a video camera system and connect it to your hub. Of course, there are multiple models but opt for those that are wireless to ensure that you are always notified if something happens. You will have to do a bit of tinkering to sync everything to the hub and receive notifications to your phone. Thankfully, you receive all instructions with the camera, and some models even come with free installation too, which is nifty.
- Smart light switches are crucial for those people who just want to go to sleep without waking up to turn off the lights. These can also be great if you want to have the lights switched on when you arrive at home. This can also prevent any type of problems that may appear, and that’s exactly what you need to take into consideration at this point.
- Smart fitness bands are wirelessly connected to your phone. What they do is they offer you a good insight into how much you work out, not to mention you can see the blood pressure levels, glucose levels, heart rate and so on. And yes, this information can be sent to your home hub. That’s where you can receive reports about your health and figure out what you can do to stay healthy a lot faster.
- Smart TVs are important for a lot of people. Being able to browse the internet or even mirror other information from devices in your home does sound a bit futuristic. But these are only a few of the many features that a smart TV can offer to you. Yes, there’s an amazing and exciting opportunity to have with such a unit, and it’s certainly worth your time to give this a shot as much as you can.
- Smart locks will help you protect your home against a wide range of intruders. With more and more thieves out there, it’s always important to try and find a good, creative way to protect your home adequately. Smart homes are connected to your phone and they are a lot harder to break. That makes them very powerful and unique, not to mention extremely easy to use. If you really want to protect your home without having to worry about a lot of issues, then using a smart lock is a priority.
As you can imagine, these are only a few of the many smart devices out there. But we mentioned these because all of them are extremely popular and you are bound to have a great time using them. Plus, they offer a generalized approach towards learning how to make your home a smart home. And yes, installing and using them isn’t a very hard job.
Some smart devices may be rather challenging and tricky to use. But it’s always a good idea to take your time and adapt everything to the situation. It’s a demanding experience and one that’s surely going to require a lot of time and effort.
When Do You Consider Your Home A Smart Home?
This is the type of thing that will obviously differ from one person to the other. Some people will consider their home smart when they add a smart thermostat and smart lights. Other people just need better security, so a smart lock and a smart video system will be all they need.
It’s not really how many smart items you want to add to your home, but rather the way you want to use them and when you want to access all of that. It’s going to be a true challenge to identify which is the complete smart home.
At the end of the day, you want to outline what you need from your smart home. Once you have that, you will be able to learn how to make your home a smart home, and then you can customize the devices that you may need. Some people need small devices; others need larger devices and so on. All of that will add up to an incredible experience. And while creating a smart home may seem like a huge undertaking, it really isn’t. As long as you have a very good plan and stick to it, you will be very happy with the outcome!